Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pistachio cake

I'm not a big fan of pistachios but my dear husband is, so he has been asking me to make this cake that his mom used to make for him when he was a kid, since I couldn't find her exact recipe I look it up on internet and I came up with my own version! He didn't like the cherries so next time I will just omit them. All in all he was very happy with the finish product! ;)  & I was happy I could bring warm & happy memories from his mom & his childhood!

For the cake:

1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding
4 eggs
1-1/4 cups water
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp. almond extract
7 drops green food coloring (optional)

For the frosting:

2 packages (4-serving size each) instant pistachio pudding and pie filling mix

3 cups milk
2 envelopes whipped topping mix

Additional maraschino cherries and pistachio nuts (optional)



PREPARATION:
Cake

1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.

2.Combine cake mix, pudding, eggs, water, oil and almond extract in large bowl. Mix according to package directions. Spread half of batter in each pan. Bake and cool according to package directions.

Frosting

1.Combine milk, pudding mix and whipped topping mix in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until blended. Beat at high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until stiff, scraping sides of bowl often. Stir in cherries and pistachios (Optional). Refrigerate until ready to use.

2.To assemble cake; spread filling between each layer. Frost top and side of cake with frosting. Garnish with maraschino cherries and pistachios, if desired.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment